How many times have you wanted cheesy goodness but didn’t want same-old same-old? More than you can count? Yeah, me too. How many times have you wished it was full of bad-for-you? Yeah, me too. Time for quick and easy yet chock-full of originality!
This recipe gives you something you can spread on a cracker or a bun, stuff a pepper with, or mold into a ball, roll in bread-crumbs, and give a thoughtful cheer-me-up to a friend who could just use a bright-spot in their day. The hall-mark of this recipe is flexibility. Presented here is the simple form. It is the most basic version of the recipe and is delicious just as it is, and is the basis from which you can experiment to your heart’s content.
What you need
- 2-quart mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- potato masher (optional)
What goes in it
- 1 pound cream cheese – the softer the cheese you use the more flexible your cheese fill/spread.
- 8 oz. shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend – this is your opportunity to blend your favorite hard cheese into a soft, spreadable, easy-to-enjoy form that you can put anywhere with any food.
- 2 tbsp spices – this is totally customizable. Make it with 2 packets of powdered zesty Italian salad dressing mix the first time, then get inventive if you want!
What to do
Dump all the ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
No, really, that’s it! You’re done. Smear this on crackers, toast, or bagels. Fill a biscuit or a jalapeno pepper with it. Have fun!
Experiment, try any of the following!
- Use a different soft cheese as the basis.
- Use a different shredded hard cheese to mix in.
- Change the spice mix (try these one at a time):
- Add 8 oz. of bacon fried very crispy and crumbled.
- Add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Add 1/2 tsp of cilantro.
Don’t let me stop you, try anything you can think of! If it works out, post it in the comments below!